grub-devel

Re: localization of Grub

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: localization of Grub
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:49:54 +0200

Hello,

On Sep/28/2008, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 02:19:09PM +0200, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> > >
> > > This is wanted but nobody did work on this yet afaik.
> > > It would be good if there would be multiple keyboard layouts too I
> > > think.
> >
> > I think that different keyboard layouts it's even more important than
> > different languages...
> >
> > Do we have any plan? Maybe I will take a look (but during 20 days in
> > october I will not have lot of time :-( so not sure if I will do it
> > after October or not, I will see...)
> >
> > Any suggestion for the implementation? How user would change the
> > keyboard layout? Or maybe at beginning some setting (variable) at
> > grub.cfg?
>
> Hi,
>
> It's very nice you want to work on localisation.  This is a very welcome
> feature (and I think it's been discussed before).
>
> (I assume we're talking about a gettext equivalent rather than keyboard
> layouts, which is a separate -but also nice- feature)

Yes, I was talking about gettext/equivalent (I will send another email
talking about keyboard layouts)

> My recommendation for a roadmap (please comment/discuss/challenge/etc!) would
> be:
>
>   - gettextise the util tools, so they can be translated as normal
>   programs.

ok! (I guess/hope that will be more "burocratic" work than new work)

>   - add support to grub (a gettext module or so) so that it can load our .mo
>     files and obtain strings from it, by implementing gettext() (aka _()).

this is the interesting part, I think :-)

> I'd also recommend making the user interface similar to posix locales, for
> consistency's sake (which you know I hold dearly ;-)).

I know!

> Even if you only have time/interest to implement the first part, this
> is already a significant benefit.  Keep in mind that grub.cfg
> generation is done by update-grub which happens entirely on userland,
> so we get translated menu entries that way.

I don't expect to have time until 22th October (aprox.). I have more
interest in the second part (it's "newer") than first part, but first
part has a practical and fast effects with (I think) less investment.

I think that I will do both things, but will take some time. If somebody
has time/interest to do it before: please, raise your hand!

--
Carles Pina i Estany            GPG id: 0x17756391
        http://pinux.info