grub-devel

Re: Release Plan update...

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Release Plan update...
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:13:27 +0200

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 08:12:02PM +0300, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As our release plan is rotting a bit, I zapped current plan on Wiki and
> here is my proposal for plan targetting 2.0 gold release.
>
> == 1.97 ==
>
>   Estimate Date:: 2008-??-?? (ASAP)
>
>   Release Focus:: General release. Improving usability and stability.
>
> == 1.98 ==
>
>   Estimate Date:: 2009-??-?? (2009 new years release :) ?)
>
>   Release Focus:: Integrating USB and Graphical Menu to baseline.
> Improving usability and stability.

Where do we put the "handlers" patch, and the "move code off startup.S" one?

My opinion is that whereever we put them, we should avoid delaying them
because of the release.  Distributors have their own release cycles, which
aren't synced with GRUB's, so release dates are not so important yet IMO.

>   Note:: We would like to claim that GRUB 2 is ''beta'' at this stage.
> ''beta'' means that GRUB 2 has the same usability as GRUB Legacy.

I think we surpassed GRUB Legacy in usability already ;-)

--
Robert Millan