grub-devel

Re: Sendkey patch

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: Sendkey patch
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 17:58:54 +0200

Hello, again
I had a look at your patch. In some mail it was suggested that kernel
patch should be split from module that uses it. So I resend the kernel
part of my patch. Another question is whether we need some kind of
abortion procedure (like in your patch) if a preboot hook fails.
Javier Martín wrote:
> An interface like this is implemented in another patch in "discussion",
> my drivemap patch (see the August list archives). As yours, it is
> linked-list based and very similar in the prototypes. I haven't checked
> if your code has any kind of errors/corner cases,

I checked and found that I didn't check if grub_malloc succeeded

> but it seems terser
> than mine even though it's a bit more difficult to understand because
> you use double pointers to avoid my handling of the head case. I don't
> understand the purpose of doubly-linking the list though...

The goal is to avoid walking through list when deleting an entry from it.
>> Whether we need also interface for adding "postboot" commands? (in case
>> boot_function returns)
> I don't think it would offer a lot of functionality because most loaders
> don't return on failure, they just get stuck or their payload
> triple-faults and reboots.

It's the case for i386-pc loaders but not the case of some other targets
(e.g. EFI). So the question remains.

Vladimir Serbinenko