grub-devel

Re: [Wishlist] Better warning if grub.cfg not found

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: [Wishlist] Better warning if grub.cfg not found
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:22:01 +0200

Hello,

On Aug/22/2008, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 09:51:44PM +0200, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Doing some tests with Grub2 and qemu I've made a mistake that Grub (I
> > think) could warn me better.
> >
> > The mistake is that I didn't have a grub.cfg file (well, I had but in
> > the wrong place).
> >
> > The Grub2 feedback for a standard user it's just flickering (I think
> > that Grub2 paints the menu) and after that shows the command line.
> >
> > I would expect a warning, before the command line or in the command line
> > screen informing user that grub.cfg has not been found in the expected
> > place.
>
> Agreed.  Can you fix this?  Also, it shouldn't bother to draw the menu
> if it isn't going to use it for anything.

I will take a look. I'm not familiar with this Grub code part and on
next week I will be some days away. But it's not an urgent issue.

> > I'm doing the Grub2 imagine file using grub-mkrescue.
> >
> > Should already grub-mkrescue warn if grub.cfg is not there? (at least if
> > using overlay option). I could take a look if grub-mkrescue should do
> > it.
>
> AFAICT, this problem is in GRUB itself, and shouldn't affect what
> grub-mkrescue does.

I think that it's a Grub issue and not grub-mkrescue issue.

One this is done (fixing Grub) we could fix the utilities. If
grub-mkrescue knows that Grub will not have a grub.cfg, it's nice to
warn the user (could save time). Of course, then, what happends if
grub.cfg exists but it's not valid? Should grub-mkrescue parse it?

Anyway, I will take a look to fix Grub before other things.

--
Carles Pina i Estany            GPG id: 0x17756391
        http://pinux.info