grub-devel

Re: Crypto Patch: Legal Issues

From: Michael Gorven
Subject: Re: Crypto Patch: Legal Issues
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 19:11:28 +0200

On Saturday 09 August 2008 17:24:23 Marco Gerards wrote:
> I was about the review Simon's patch.  What is the best way to
> proceed.  More than one person works on this and I am confused about
> how to deal with this.  Would it help if Simons work got in first, or
> didn't you continue with this, but did you just pick pieces of code
> from him instead?

I used his "crypto" module, which manages the available ciphers and hashes. I
did however make some changes to that, and I also replaced Simon's AES and
RIPEMD implementations with ones from libgcrypt. I gather that there was a
problem with the license of those implementations, and so I think that it may
be easier for me to submit Simon's patch along with mine. My "luks" module
also has a lot of code in common with Simon's "devmapper" module (which
handles non-LUKS encrypted partitions), and so I'm planning to incorporate
that functionality in my "luks" module.

Regards
Michael

--