grub-devel

merging i386-efi and x86_64-efi (Re: Current SVN is broken on x86_64)

From: Robert Millan
Subject: merging i386-efi and x86_64-efi (Re: Current SVN is broken on x86_64)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:21:03 +0200

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 08:51:25AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 11:16 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
>
> > Furthermore, I had a look and some of the x86_64 versions are just stubs
> > that
> > include the i386 one.
> >
> > Why don't we handle this like Linux?  They ship a single directory and use
> > #ifdefs where appropiate.  That enforces consistency in the dir layout.
>
> I think we can do it.  i386 and x86_64 could be joined into one "x86"
> architecture with common headers and sources.  Perhaps the users should
> still use i386 and x86_64 in configure, but the code should be mostly
> common.

I gave a try at this, which I haven't completed yet.  Here's what I have
so far.

The biggest stumbling block seems to be that autoconf doesn't make it easy
to do AC_CHECK_SIZEOF checks for standard compiling and cross-compiling in
the same run (it does support cross-compiling though).

I haven't found a way to do it.  If I modify types.m4 to export its
findings to a variable instead of dumping them to config.h directly,
further calls to the same check won't return different results, even if
CC / CFLAGS has been adjusted.

--
Robert Millan