grub-devel

Re: Is it possble to use /dev/disk/by-id/ in grub.conf?

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: Is it possble to use /dev/disk/by-id/ in grub.conf?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 20:00:34 +0200

2008/7/30 Aniruddha <address@hidden>:
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 12:35 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>> I believe disk IDs are not supported yet.  If you describe your problem
>> in more details, it may motivate somebody to add disk ID support.  Or
>> perhaps you are missing a simple solution possible with the current
>> code.
>
> Thanks for your quick response. The problem is that udev keeps changing my
> harddrive names
> at each boot. Normally my root partition resides on /dev/sdc2. However with
> each reboot
> this name changes (the last three boots it changed from /dev/sdb2 to
> /dev/sdf2 to /dev/sdc2).
>
> I solved this partially by changing the /dev/sdc2 entry in fstab with a
> /dev/disk/by-id/my_device_id
> entry. Unfortunately grub has still /dev/sdc2 configured as root partition.
> This means I have to guess every
> boot which partition-name the root partition resides. I do this by entering
> devices names (after
> the error message that grub couldn't find my root partition). I start with
> /dev/sda2 trying each letter
> (sdb2, sdc2, sdd2) until I find the root partition.
If your problem is what device name to pass to the kernel command
line, you can use a line like:
    linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=diskuuidhere
and the same with LABEL= if your initrd supports them (like Ubuntu's
default initrd or Gentoo's `genkernel' initrd).
If, on the other hand, your problem is what device to use in GRUB, I
think there is a `search' command you can investigate.