grub-devel

Re: Solaris boot

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: Solaris boot
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:28:05 +0200

El jue, 17-07-2008 a las 16:10 +0400, Alexander Eremin escribió:
> Hi all,
> Any way to boot Solaris from grub2? I mean: don't use something like
> rootnoverify and makeactive
> but write at  the end of linux menu.lst something like
>
> root (hd1,1)
> kernel /boot/platform/x86/kernel/unix
> module /platform/x86/kernel/boot_archive
That's grub1 syntax. In grub2 you have to specify the kernel type when

> Can grub2 load solaris 32 kernel?
Is Solaris Multiboot-compatible? If not, you can try to use its own
bootloader through the `chainloader' command. However, if grub1 could
load it with "kernel", either there was a specific loader for it or the
Solaris kernel was compatible with one of the grub1 loaders: try with
all the grub2 loaders (multiboot, bsd, linux) and only then resort to
chainloader.

You (or someone else) can also try to either port the grub1 Solaris
loader (if it exists) or write a new grub2 loader for it but I don't
know if the latter would be possible without specs. Besides, in order
for such a new loader to be incorporable to the "official" grub2, the
development process must follow some guidelines in order to avoid future
legal problems, like "no reverse engineering" (maybe clean room
techniques are OK, but I don't know the FSF policy) and so on.