grub-devel

Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk

From: Bean
Subject: Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:03:50 +0800

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 02:30:38PM +0800, Bean wrote:
>>
>> The fd and hd device share many code, separating them is not a good
>> idea.
>
> If code duplication is a problem, we could link the same code staticaly for
> each module.  Size of biosdisk module is an issue, because it's always used
> in core.img, but size of floppy module isn't, because it's never needed for
> bootstrap.
>
>> Perhaps what we need is a way to optionally disable the floppy
>> device, for example, with a variable such as no_floppy.
>
> But that makes biosdisk bigger, not smaller :-(

Hi,

Is size really that important ? I think even if you split the module,
it would only save very little space, which doesn't matter in the big
picture, unless you have a situation where the current size is very
closed to the upper limit. In that case, I suggest more dramatic
action, like replacing lzo with a strong compression algorithm, like
lzma, which would save a few thousand bytes.

--
Bean