grub-devel

Re: Searching UUID on floppies

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: Searching UUID on floppies
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 17:56:59 -0400

Robert Millan wrote:
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 03:06:30PM -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:
Robert Millan wrote:
Some of our commands use --no-floppy. Also supported in GRUB Legacy (by 'find' or so, can't remember). Perhaps it's better to use that for consistency? It
is the floppy scan which everyone hates; for other devices I don't think
people will mind if GRUB spends a few ms on them.
I don't know if it's relevant... but there is a situation that is maybe similar when my MacBook boots up (before it even gets to GRUB), if there's a CD in the drive, it wastes about 15 extra seconds spinning it up to look at it, even if I'm not booting from CD. So that might be a sort of thing to watch out for, when making GRUB search?

Does it happen before or after you get the "Welcome to GRUB!" message?

*That* happens even if I never enter grub at all -- so I guess you would say "before". GRUB doesn't have that problem for me as far as I know, but the only things I have in my config are (hd0,x) -- no boot-from-CD option, only the Linuxes on the disk that I have configured precisely and numerically.

look, here is my boot sequence:
EFI firmware boots the MacOSX partition by default, if I don't hold down "option"/"alt" (if I do, then the firmware puts up a menu of choices).

rEFIt is installed in such a way that it is booted rather the standard MacOSX at that point. It puts up a nice menu of choices including MacOS, any bootable CD/DVDs, and all the GRUBs it can find. It's rEFIt's appearance that is delayed when there's a CD in the drive. rEFIt knows how to boot both EFI and BIOS GRUBs.
-- MacOSX: boots normally if selected in rEFIt.
-- GRUB2: well, you know about that. From there, I can potentially boot my Linuxes that are on various of my partitions.

-Isaac