grub-devel

Re: LVM and LVM2 support in Grub

From: Dag Wieers
Subject: Re: LVM and LVM2 support in Grub
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 13:23:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Robert Millan wrote:

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 12:52:24PM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
Hi guys,

Today I met Alasdair Kergon again and Tim brought up the question when we
can expect LVM support in Grub. This is a feature that is now missing for
some time and a lot of people are waiting for this.

LVM is already supported, although it's a bit buggy and some rare use cases
don't work well yet.

If you find bugs, reports are welcome.  As for unsupported use case, it doesn't
work if you're booting from the LVM device itself.  We already know why this
happens, but nobody had time to fix it (help is welcome, I can give more
details if desired).

I asked the question because Alasdair mentioned that the current implementation doesn't use the existing LVM framework and he would prefer that, instead of having the functionality as a whole included in Grub, it relies on the LVM infrastructure that is maintained by the LVM developers. And as a result would be a much more complete (and maintained) implementation than is currently offered.

To me it looks like it could just compile and link against the LVM API. That would certainly provide for a much better implementation than the current as it would be maintained by the LVM developers directly.

Now, I much more prefer Alasdair to join the discussion as I am just an incapable user :-) but since we are at LinuxTag it may take some time.

I promised I would ignite the discussion, so my job is over ;-)
--
--   dag wieers,  address@hidden,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --