grub-devel

Re: x86_64 EFI support for grub2 ?

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: x86_64 EFI support for grub2 ?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 06:09:22 -0400

Bean wrote:
BTW, you can check out the firmware info in "About rEFIt" icon in the
refit boot menu. Here is my info:

EFI Revision 1.10
Platform: x86_64 (64 bit)
Firmware: Apple 1.10

I guess your firmware is 32-bit, even though the cpu is 64-bit.

Dunno. All my rEFIt says about itself of substance in that "About rEFIt" is that it's version 0.9. Is yours one of those newer ("Santa Rosa") MacBooks that require at least refit 0.10? (I think it's because those firmwares require 64-bit EFI image)

[rEFIt] "Version 0.10 (June 14, 2007):
    * Supports the new “Santa Rosa” generation of MacBook Pro models.
* All binaries built as “fat” 32-bit and 64-bit. (May not work on non-Apple EFI firmwares.)" http://refit.sourceforge.net/history.html

But we (GRUB) aren't refit -- we just need to know that we can't use that kind of multi-arch image to support all x86 and x86-64 EFI platforms.

-Isaac