grub-devel

Re: Google's Summer of Code 2008 / GRUB 2

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: Google's Summer of Code 2008 / GRUB 2
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 06:53:47 -0700

Hi Marco,
Nice to meet you!

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:47:36 +0200
Marco Gerards <address@hidden> wrote:

> First of all, the code.  I think it would be a good idea if I would
> send in patches for my code so it will be immediately integrated into
> GRUB 2.  This would work as everyone will make sure that this code
> will not be touched by anyone and patches to this will be ignored.
> Otherwise I can work in a branch, my own bzr repository or whatever.
> I hope I will get feedback on this :-)

I'm going to be using bzr for my personal development work. Currently I
am using 'tailor' to synchronize my local bzr "upstream GRUB 2" branch
from CVS. It seems to work fairly well. If you want more info on
setting up tailor, let me know and I can send you my config file
(really simple, actually).

Pavel Roskin posted a link yesterday to his git mirror of the GRUB CVS.
(http://repo.or.cz/w/grub2.git) That would be another option, and I
need to consider whether I should mirror directly from CVS or via the
git mirror. Interfacing bzr to git is a more direct mapping since they
both have the concept of changesets (revisions of the entire
repository). There is a bzr-git tool (https://launchpad.net/bzr-git)
that is supposed to integrate with git in a really slick way. I might
go straight to CVS, though, since the git repository is just a mirror
itself.

Something else you might find useful is the 'loom' plugin for Bazaar.
It helps you manage sets of patches against an upstream branch of a
project.

Regards,
Colin