grub-devel

RE: GRUB2 and Multiboot?

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: RE: GRUB2 and Multiboot?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:16:39 -0400

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 20:52 -0600, Julian Salazar wrote:
> Sorry if I wasn't more specific, but I was talking about the multiboot draft
> at http://grub.enbug.org/MultibootDraft, specifically the Multiboot
> Information Format.

Oh, I see.

It seems to me that the code implements a more thought out standard.  0
is MULTIBOOT2_TAG_RESERVED1 there.

The code was committed by Jerone Young, but I don't know who maintains
the specification.  It's quite possible that the code has never been
tested on a real kernel.

> > Or maybe you mean that the kernel should tell the bootloader whether the
> > control should be passed to it in the 64-bit mode?
>
> Exactly what I mean - maybe there should a flag of some kind, or a
> parameter...

I see.  Anyway, I don't feel qualified about discussing the proposed
standard.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin