grub-devel

grub-probe fails to find PC partition due to Apple disklabel

From: Chris Knadle
Subject: grub-probe fails to find PC partition due to Apple disklabel
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:34:50 -0400

Greetings.

   I've run into an interesting problem on a PC running Debian Sid (Linux)
where grub-probe fails to find partitions on the first hard disk because it
finds an Apple disklabel, causing the 'update-grub' program to fail and thus
not allow installing a new Linux kernel.  [The drive may at one time been in
an Apple or in an external drive enclosure used by both Apple and PC's
running Linux.]  The latest grub on Debian Sid now uses grub2 code for the
grub-common package, so even though the bug report is for grub 0.97-36, it's
using grub2 code.

   As far as I can tell, (and forgive me if my terminology is slightly off),
this boils down to the question of how to handle the situation where a disk
has multiple disklabels / partition maps from different architectures but
only has allocated partitions in one of the partition maps.

   Is there, or can we think of, a good way of handling this?

   -- Chris

--

Chris Knadle
address@hidden