grub-devel

Re: grub_usb

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: grub_usb
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:29:44 +0300

mohammed mt wrote:
Hi all...
I wishes to do USB support for GRUB...What are the important things when doing a device support for GRUB, that is not much taken into consideration when doing the same for Kernel?

Hi Mohammed,

Well, depends on the platform you are doing the driver. But let assume x86. Basically you should write lean code, use as less of resources than possible. Then again, make it as much portable as you can. You do not put code in GRUB's kernel unless there is really pressing matter to do that. All code should reside on modules.

This means, making some interfaces, where one interface is public for all platforms and on top of that there is code that is common between all architectures, below that are hardware/platform specific code. Rest basically is up to driver design, but more likely will also have additional interfaces to make it more pluggable.

Usually all code is in C, meaning that it is easy to maintain and port code to other systems. Only for specific parts of the code when it is impossible to use C, then you would write assembler code.

In addition to these, general GPLv3 things apply, like it has to compatible with it. Meaning you cannot copy code from unknown sources (we usually say not from any sources), if source is shared, then it should not be maintenance nightmare, and license should match.

With major contributions you will also have to assign your copyright to FSF. Code has to be also reviewed in order to be accepted in.

But, please wait for couple of weeks before starting, because there is GSoC 2008 going on and student application evaluations are currently going on. There are couple of USB applications in there... and we do not want to duplicate the effort.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen