grub-devel

GRUB2 and Multiboot?

From: Julian Salazar
Subject: GRUB2 and Multiboot?
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:55:57 -0600

Hello,

I've got some questions about GRUB2 relating to the Multiboot Draft:

It seems like GRUB2 passes the start tag with a key of 1, bootloader name
with a key of 2, etc.
But the Multiboot draft says that the start tag has a key of 0, bootloader
name has a key of 1, etc.
Which one is right? One or the other has to be changed...

Suggestions:
I think that the multiboot tags should be explicitly (in the multiboot spec)
passed in order (i.e. that a tag with a key of 5 should always go before one
with a key of 7) Maybe a bootloader should give an x86-64 kernel the option
to either boot it into 32 or 64 bit mode? Or is that asking for too much?

Also, I'm really interested in the GRUB2 project, and I've noticed a
staggering lack of documentation for it. I'd be perfectly willing to help
write a manual of some kind for GRUB2, so how could I go about doing that?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Julian S.