grub-devel

Re: GSoC Idea - Fancy Menu

From: Amin Azez
Subject: Re: GSoC Idea - Fancy Menu
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:51:08 +0000

* Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote, On 26/03/08 20:11:
> gopi wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm GSoC student keen on taking up the "GRUB - Fancy Menu Inter face".
> Hi Gopi,
>
> If project is listed on that page then it means that feature is not
> yet completed and it would be good to have. Previous years we have
> only had opportunity to have only one student (I think) per year so
> far for GRUB project so to pick only one, compromises has to be made.
>
> You are free to address any questions on this mailing list about any
> GRUB related GSoC questions. If you want to know something about any
> of those entries, please address it with specific question.
>
> About Fancy Menu, there has been several emails in this mailing list
> and then there is also some info about it in our wiki:
>
> http://grub.enbug.org/Subprojects/GraphicalMenu
> http://grub.enbug.org/FancyMenu

As well as supporting fancy enhancements, the menu definitions ought
also to support simple menus.
I've worked with an serial port based LCD interface supplier to have the
standard LCD produced be suitable for grub menus.

Its a 4 key 2 line 16 character interface, with 8 programable characters
(like most LCD controllers).
It can be controlled via a standard serial interface.

So grub menus ought to support short labels as well as long titles and
graphical items; and so forth.

I merely mention this here so as to influence the data structures and
config items so that the fancy menus can be based on a widely usable
structure.

Sam