grub-devel

Re: Starting grub 2 from grub legacy?

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Starting grub 2 from grub legacy?
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:08:32 -0500

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 00:12 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:
> ardoRic wrote, on 14/02/08 05:20:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I tried it and didn't exactly work.
> >
> > the grub entry you are looking for is:
> >
> > title Chainload Grub2
> > root (hd0,0) # or whatever your root is
> > kernel /boot/grub/core.img
> > savedefault
> >
> > This is what i had before commenting it out, and i tried it out and works.
> >

> This doesn't work for me )-:

For what it's worth, I cannot load core.img even from the current GRUB2:

grub> kernel /boot/grub/core.img
error: unknown ELF class

Yet core.img appears to have a valid multiboot header:

# mbchk /boot/grub/core.img
/boot/grub/core.img: The Multiboot header is found at the offset 592.
/boot/grub/core.img: Page alignment is turned off.
/boot/grub/core.img: Memory information is turned off.
/boot/grub/core.img: Address fields is turned on.
/boot/grub/core.img: All checks passed.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin