grub-devel

Re: [patch] more descriptive unknown glyph picture

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: [patch] more descriptive unknown glyph picture
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:06:21 +0200

Pavel Roskin wrote:
On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 23:06 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

I think using system fonts is fine.  Current update-grub has logic to detect
them, and enable them when present.  It checks (via grub-probe) that GRUB will
be able to read them before doing so.  Additionaly, the grub.cfg it generates
will instruct GRUB to fallback sanely to console when fonts aren't readable.

You probably misunderstand.  System fonts are located in BIOS.  I think
it might also be possible to read them back from a VGA compatible card.

This is what I was pointing to. But there are most likely systems where this font information is stored elsewhere. And actually VGA font sizes are usually too small for larger displays. (and so is ours)