grub-devel

Re: IA64 port

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: IA64 port
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 19:38:47 +0100

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 05:22:00PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > Is gpt mandatory?
>
> Almost.
>
> >  We can use gpt without efi;  I wonder if we can also use
> > efi without gpt.  If you can access the raw disk, any partition map (even no
> > partition map at all!) could be used, right?
>
> Not really.  EFI has to load grub, and EFI only always knows GPT+FAT.

I see.  Anyway, I still think it'd be a good idea to probe for it.  Say,
if someone makes an extended version of EFI that supports other partition
maps, or so.  And since we have the instruments to do it, why not?

> > Btw has this been tested on i386-efi ?
>
> No.  I only have access to an EFI simulator on i386.

It doesn't cause regression on the simulator then? :-)

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What use is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)