grub-devel

Re: Transparent decompression with file system filter

From: Bean
Subject: Re: Transparent decompression with file system filter
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 04:16:15 +0800

On Jan 14, 2008 3:51 AM, Yoshinori K. Okuji <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sunday 13 January 2008 08:38, Bean wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > any suggestion about this patch ? i would like to commit it soon.
>
> I am sorry that I forgot to reply.
>
> I would like to know how you intend to approach the following issues:
>
> - If you want to support, for example, an ecrypted and compressed file, in the
> current implementation, each hook must try other hooks recursively. I believe
> that this should be done at grub_file_open_ex rather than at every hook. Is
> there any pitfall with this way?

currently, at most one hook is applied to one file, recursive hook can
be messy. but we can add a priority value, this would allow the hooks
to be apply in a particular order.

> - There are some cases where the user wants to skip some decoding features
> (i.e. decryptions and decompressions). For instance, gunzip does not make
> sense for initrd, since the linux kernel performs this. But if the user uses
> other compression algorithms (e.g. LZMA), GRUB must decompress it before
> transferring control to the kernel. Or, in the case of Multiboot modules, an
> OS image might want to keep compressed modules as they are, but have GRUB to
> decrypt them, if they are encrypted. How does the user select which hooks
> should be applied (from the viewpoint of UI)?

i think this can be controlled by variables, for example, we can use
filehook.gzip to control whether or not to use gzip, etc.

--
Bean

--
Bean