grub-devel

Re: Outline menu

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: Outline menu
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 17:44:44 +0200

Markus Elfring wrote:
>> I do not fancy XML for the boot loader... and I do not see a need to yet
>> another configuration file format for menus. We already have menu
>> command that can be used to build menus. Perhaps you can convince me
>> otherwise?
>
> I imagine that GRUB can become so flexible that it can be specified which data
> formats should be parsed. If the target boot environment has not got enough
> resources for XML and XSLT processing, an customised configuration file format
> must be used to specify the required menu attributes. Do you know any other
> standard file format for outlines that might be more resource-friendly?

And what is wrong with current config file?

http://grub.enbug.org/grub.cfg

If you refer to layout, then CSS style file should be suitable. We don't
even need to support everything, just a custom subset so we can define
everything that is needed. Configuring layout style file would just be
another command or environment variable.

You can read my idea of visual layout from "Layout testing for graphical
menu" in mailing list archive:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2007-10/msg00103.html

Please explain your agenda so it is easier to discuss it. File format is
just a way to store information, nothing more. We are here talking about
functionality before making any final choices (which can be of course
replaced in future if there becomes more superior choice to choose from).