grub-devel

Re: buggy BIOSes (Re: pretty colors in gfxterm)

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: buggy BIOSes (Re: pretty colors in gfxterm)
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:52:54 +0200

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 12:02:10PM +0200, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Friday 31 August 2007 16:47, Robert Millan wrote:
> > > Besides that, it is really necessary to check what workarounds for buggy
> > > BIOSes are missing in GRUB 2. The current bootstrap code on PC is based
> > > on somewhere around GRUB 0.96, so it is a bit outdated.
> >
> > I just had a look.  Is there something other than:
>
> I also looked at the ChangeLog, and found nothing else. So can we assume that
> all workarounds have been applied to GRUB 2 as well?

In GRUB 2 we have:

2005-03-18  Yoshinori K. Okuji  <address@hidden>

        * fs/fat.c (grub_fat_mount): Ignore the 3rd bit of a media
        descriptor. This is ported from GRUB Legacy.

but I couldn't find this one from GRUB Legacy:

2005-02-15  Yoshinori K. Okuji  <address@hidden>

        * stage2/builtins.c (install_func): If DEST_DRIVE is a hard
        disk, enable the workaround in Stage 1 by replacing the jmp
        with double nop's.

        * stage1/stage1.h (STAGE1_BOOT_DRIVE_CHECK): New macro.
        (STAGE1_BOOT_DRIVE_MASK): Removed.

        * stage1/stage1.S (boot_drive_check): New label. This implements
        a different workaround for buggy BIOSes which don't pass boot
        drive correctly. This is effective for BIOSes which pass a value
        without the seventh bit (0x80).
        (boot_drive_mask): Removed.

As for other changes, I can't find them.  Did you have anything else in mind
when you mentioned these workarounds?

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)