grub-devel

Re: Booting from grub 2 console

From: Andev Debi
Subject: Re: Booting from grub 2 console
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 23:26:44 +0530

On 8/15/07, Andev Debi <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
> Ive installed grub 1.95 on a debian system using
> #grub-install /dev/hda
>
> After rebooting, i get the grub console. I searched a lot on the internet
> for any procedure to boot my system from here, but got nothin.
> Most of them are for grub legacy, and all the commands have  changed.
>
> So if u please specify this, it will be clear for everyone interested
> how to deal with tht.
>
> Thank You,
> Andev

Ok, after a lot of tinkering around, i found the way:

grub>set root=(hd0,1)
grub>linux (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-2-486 root=/dev/sda1 ro

grub>initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.21-2-486
grub>boot

This should do it. I think this all should be present in the grub.cfg
file which should have been created by grub-install.
The default grub-install did not create this file. I will manually
create this file and try to boot it.

Thanks,
Andev.