grub-devel

Re: memory management issue (Re: another regression on Efika)

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: memory management issue (Re: another regression on Efika)
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:30:11 +0200

Hi Sven,

I have a pair of questions about the memory issue..

>   17:19 <svenl> nyu: this is another not really bug but ugly feature of the
> efika firmware, not present in the pegasos branch.

We need to detect if we're running on an affected system somehow.  Does the
SmartFirmware version number (1.3 here) completely reflect wether the problem
is present, or do we need to check /openprom/model too?

>   17:19 <svenl> the problem is that the graphic memory is mapped at the
> start, and the firmware is located from 16MB to 24MB or so, maybe a bit more
> with stack.
>   17:20 <svenl> normally; the area between 0 and 16MB, except for the
> interrupt vectors, should be available.

I'm not sure how big is the interrupt vector, but since we succesfuly loaded
GRUB at 0x10000, I think it's safe to assume that as the lower bound.  As for
the higher bound, is 0x1000000 exactly it, or was that a rough estimate?

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.