grub-devel

Re: Command extension suggestions

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Command extension suggestions
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:08:09 +0200

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 11:46:49AM +0800, Bean wrote:
> These ideas are mostly from grub4dos, I think they can be useful in GRUB2.
>
> 1. cat
>
> In addition to the current function, cat can also generate hexadecimal dump,
> and it can optionally choose the range of bytes to display. For example:
>
> cat [--hex] [--skip=S] [--length=L] FILE

Wouldn't it be more consistent to call it:

  od [-j|--skip-bytes=S] [-N|--read-bytes=L] FILE

> Sometimes it's useful to dump the content of physical memory, it can be
> implemented with a special option --mem. For example,
>
> cat [--mem] [--skip=S] [--length=L] base_address
>
> It can also be implemented with virtual device (md). For example,
>
> cat --hex (md)+2

That sounds much cleaner IMHO.  But IIRC (md) is already in use by the
RAID/LVM stuff ?

> 2. find
>
> Find command is missing in GRUB2. It's used to find the device which contains
> a certain file.
>
> find [--set=var_name] FILENAME

We have this already, only with different name:

  search --set /file

(root is implicit, but it can be overriden)

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.