grub-devel

RE: I write a patch for Japanese NEC i386 old computers.

From: Hitoshi Ozeki
Subject: RE: I write a patch for Japanese NEC i386 old computers.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 19:57:18 +0900

Hello, all.

Okuji-san wrote about the different(128-2048 bytes) sector-size support:
        I think there are two different ways to address this issue. One way
is to use
        variable sector size. This looks elegant, but this affects the disk
device
        API very much. The other is to use fixed sector size, as it is for
now, but
        align boundaries at a device driver level.
        (omit)
         I don't know which way is better. What do you think?

I wrote in last article:
        I think to set the GRUB_DISK_SECTOR_SIZE as the least.
        (As far as I know, The least hardware sector size is
        128 bytes.) and add the variable to 'struct grub_disk'.
        Its variable stores
         sector size(blocks per sector).

In addition, Let me talk about the recent PC-9800 patch.
I use the GRUB_DISK_SECTOR_SIZE in a meaning of default sector size(=512).
and add the variable 'sector_size' to 'struct grub_disk'.
GRUB_DISK_SECTOR_SIZE is used to initialize the 'sector_size'.
GRUB_DISK_SECTOR_SIZE is replaced with 'sector_size' in most case.