grub-devel

Re: [RFC] multiboot2 loader

From: Tomáš Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: [RFC] multiboot2 loader
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:18:34 +0100 (CET)

>> There is plenty of precedent here. So I still see nothing wrong with
>> putting a header file, which describes an interface, under a non-GPL
>> license.
>
> Because GRUB is not a library. The spec is available independently, so
> you can write your own header easily. Nothing prevents you from doing
> this.
>
> Okuji

And should the multiboot header file be "Grub's"? What about having
"Multiboot's" header as a part of "Multiboot project". Such project should
contain only specification, and header file, that can be freely copied.
The only thing that should be forbidden is that some third party will
claim she owns the header. I think that GPL is too restrictive for this
purpose. Such header file can be then added to grub as well as to
BSD-licenced and other software.

--
                            Tomas Ebenlendr
                            http://drak.ucw.cz/ebik