grub-devel

Re: multiboot2: make multiboot header optional

From: Johan Rydberg
Subject: Re: multiboot2: make multiboot header optional
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:57:08 +0100

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

> For kernels that need to communicate information to GRUB (e.g.
> "vga_mode" from my previous email, or a.out load addresses), the
> multiboot header would be needed for GRUB to locate the parameter area
> within the executable.

My two cents;

In MB2 we remove the possibility to communicate options from the
kernel to the boot loader.  The loader has one task; loading the
kernel and leave control to it, and possible pass information about
the environment.  Nothing more.

If the operating system kernel is stupid enough to require as special
video mode the user should be aware of that and setup the bootloader
so that it is in that mode before the kernel is started.

~j