grub-devel

Re: how to increase commandline size (patch + changelog)

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: how to increase commandline size (patch + changelog)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:53:09 +0200

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 19:17, Jeff Chua wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Marco Gerards wrote:
> > Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:
> >> What exactly happens if we give the kernel a longer cmdline than it
> >> supports? Does it just truncate, or fail to boot?
> >
> > It truncates.
> >
> >> Why not allow users to pass as much as they want, and just warn them if
> >> it's >255?
> >
> > I am not sure what the impact is.  Linux has a memory map and I assume
> > the memory after the commandline is used for other things, or might be
> > overwritten.
>
> Is it possible to "calculate" the needed offset for the exact cmdline
> length user pass in to grub and set this in grub2/kern/i386/pc/startup.S,
> then we don't need to worry about what the user pass in.

I do not like it very much. Linux specifies how it is loaded precisely, so we
should follow it carefully. Even if loadlin passes anything and it is useful
for you, it is a bug feature, and I don't appreciate that way.

BTW this is a kind of FAQ. I have answered the same question several times
until now. All I have been saying is that you should improve Linux before
changing GRUB. I thought someone took an action for this, but the
specification hasn't changed AFAIK.

Okuji