grub-devel

Re: Grub for ia64

From: bibo,mao
Subject: Re: Grub for ia64
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:02:37 +0800

Tristan Gingold wrote:
On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 05:32:00PM +0200, Johan Rydberg wrote:
 > Tristan Gingold <address@hidden> writes:

 > >> How hard would it be to write a converter ourselves, starting with
> >> util/i386/efi/grub-mkimage.c? > > Not that hard, but
 > > * we'd better to have one grub-mkimage.c for all EFI targets
 >
 > I agree.
 >
 > > * working on binutils is even better.
 >
 > The key problem with this as I see it is that it would force people to
 > have a cross-compiler suite installed, at least for i386 hosts.  Unless
 > we can magically get the default installation to include PE-support.
On my debian system, objdump -i:
efi-app-ia32

It's already here!
The binutils issue is mainly for ia64.  For i386, grub-mkimage.c works.

Tristan.

On i386 objcopy in binutils can convert ELF format into PE32, but application
need
dynamically relocate itself so that PE32 image can be loaded to any place to
execute.
For grub-mkimage.c application need not because grub-mkimage will generate
dynamic
relocate segment. Two methods is ok for me, I prefer the easier one :)

thanks
bibo,mao