grub-devel

firmware specification

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: firmware specification
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 19:58:30 +0200

So far, we've been using the triples (such as i386-pc-gnu) to specify both a
CPU and a firmware. I feel that this is not appropriate. The vendor part of
the triple can imply what firmware is used, but not always. So, for example,
I invented i386-efi for EFI. Since the specification of the triple affects
the choice of a compiler, I suspect that our usage is wrong.

So I'd like to add a configuration option to specify a firmware type instead
of using a vendor name. When the user does not specify her firmware
explicitly, configure can guess the firmware from the CPU and the vendor.

Is there any objection?

Okuji