grub-devel

Re: netboot related projects

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: netboot related projects
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:54:28 +0200

On Saturday 29 April 2006 22:15, Marco Gerards wrote:
> vincent guffens <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> > I just wanted to let you know that I contacted the maintainer of
> > Etherboot to inform him of my current attempt to port the etherboot
> > drivers to grub2.
>
> Is he willing to cooperate with us so it will be easier to share code?
> I think I once sent him an email about it...  But I am not sure
> anymore. :-)

Honestly, I don't like to copy Etherboot's drivers to GRUB any longer. I
rather consider how to use the UNDI interface provided by Etherboot. When I
worked on netboot in GRUB Legacy, Etherboot didn't support UNDI, so I had to
copy the drivers. According to him, the current Etherboot supports UNDI, so
it should be feasible to use Etherboot's drivers via UNDI.

I think the difficulty is the case where GRUB is not loaded by Etherboot, for
example, when GRUB boots from a disk directly. In this case, one way would be
to hack Etherboot so that Etherboot can be invoked by GRUB and give the
control back to GRUB.

From the experience of GRUB Legacy, I know how painful to synchronize code
with an external project, so I'd like to investigate this direction.

Okuji