grub-devel

Re: Include

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Include
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:42:28 +0200

Currently, the commands default, timeout, etc. are ad-hoc, because they can be
usual variables, but they are commands only for the menu context. I think the
right way is to make a context for variables (and maybe for funcions as
well).

This can be implemented differently, that is, using handlers. Handlers can
change the behavior of each variable arbitrarily. But I'm afraid that this is
sometimes confusing, and could be a burden, if we want to define more
menu-specific variables. For instance, I'm considering using variables to
define a "theme" of the menu interface. This would require a lot of
variables. If we use handlers, we would have so many special variables...
IMO, handlers are exceptions, and less exceptions are better to understand
the system.

So I'd like to make variables more similar to BASH's semantics; by default,
all variables should be local, and become global only when the user executes
"export". Then, a reference of a variable means that GRUB first search the
variable in the current context, then in the global context. This looks
cleaner than the current implementation.

Okuji