grub-devel

Problems with GRUB2 on PPC (Modified by Hollis Blanchard)

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Problems with GRUB2 on PPC (Modified by Hollis Blanchard)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:53:10 +0200

[Forwarded from a non-subscriber...]

Hey!

So by request of Hollis and Marco I'm writing this report.

I just switched to GRUB 2 on my PowerPC, and encountered two problems.

Hardware:
Apple PowerBook G4 15" 750Mhz, purchased on January 2005.

OS: Debian unstable and Ubuntu dapper installed.

1st problem: when creating grub.cfg, I accidentally leftout the ".img"
suffix from the initrd line. When grub whined about a file not found, I
tab-completed it, but the changes wouldn't take effect until I manually
corrected it in grub.cfg after booting with yaboot.

2nd: after the tests were successful, I changed my OpenFirmware
configuration and switched to grubof.modules. After reboot, I got a
black screen. What happens is that grub does boot, but it shows black on
black text, so you can't see anything. Pressing enter to boot your
default entry works as expected, and Linux boots.

Thanks for this great loader. It's fun to see GRUB on my laptop. :)

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/