grub-devel

Re: mkfs command in grub

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: mkfs command in grub
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:46:10 +0100

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

>> The main reason for this feature request was that swap space can be
>> shared between windows and GNU/Linux this way.  So you can make a fat
>> filesystem when booting windows and a swap filesystem when booting
>> GNU/Linux.  Although this is not something really important for us, I
>> do see the use of such feature.
>
> So? Why does a boot loader have to deal with that? Is a swap partition
> creation critical for booting? Why don't you just make a swap partition in
> the boot process of each operation system and activate it? I really don't see
> this as a task for a boot loader.

Heh, now I am defending a feature I don't really want, need or care
about myself.  It's just that the idea is not that bad, not that I
want it or so.

The problem of the person who proposed this, is that he can not change
some of his operating systems.  Which of course is a problem of
non-free software.

--
Marco