grub-devel

Re: Status of UNDI Support

From: Yedidyah Bar-David
Subject: Re: Status of UNDI Support
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:45:10 +0200

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 03:07:36PM +0100, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Martin Vogt <address@hidden> writes:
> > Isnt it possible to re-use some UNDI support from pxelinux and put it
> > into grub2?

While I do not know the internals of grub2, I guess some parts of it run
in protected mode, while pxelinux is realmode only. I think this means
it won't be easy to use parts of it.

> I don't know.  I think it is better that we write it ourselves, it
> does not appear too hard to implement...

Looking at the sources of pxelinux, it seems somewhat more complex than
what you can tell from reading the specs, mainly because you want, as
reasonably as possible, to support also buggy PXE stacks etc. So while
it's probably not that hard, it would make sense to look at pxelinux for
reference if not for the code.

I personally was a user of both etherboot, grub with etherboot drivers
and grub with undi (which indeed did not work well for me back then - I
did not try it recently), and I agree it would make more sense for grub2
to support undi only, unlike grub legacy which tried to support
everything etherboot supported, which was probably too much
synchronization work and therefore did not work well.
--
Didi