grub-devel

Re: Rewrite of grub-mkdevicemap

From: Lubomir Kundrak
Subject: Re: Rewrite of grub-mkdevicemap
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:16:06 +0100 (CET)

> On Thursday 02 February 2006 14:31, Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
>> I am currently working on BSD port of GRUB, so I first need
>> the basic utilities to work.  I decided to rewrite
>> grub-mkdevicemap, because the old version was hard to modify,
>> and actually didn't use all the information provided by the
>> kernel.
>
> I don't know why you thought it is difficult to modify. grub-mkdevicemap.c
> is
> based on lib/device.c in GRUB Legacy, which works well with *BSD.

Current version doesn't due to a subtle bug. But anyways, when we can
get a list of disks, even with BIOS numbers in some cases, from kernel,
why don't we? Current version doesn't try to do any guess, and open()s
every disk to ensure that it exists, which is unnecessary, slow, and
can even lead to crashes in case of faulty/strange hardware. (see the
workaround for floppy).

>> Changelog entry and uuencoded source file is bellow
>
> I could not record it correctly. Can you attach it as a plain text?

Mea culpa. I probably need lectures about sending mails :)
You can either patch the faulty file resultng from attempt to
uudecode the file with the patch below, or i attach the whole
file with this message.

291c291,292
<         grub_device_map[devnom_FD
---
>         grub_device_map[devno].type = devno < BIOS_HD
>                                       ? GRUB_DISK_TYPE_FD

> Thanks,
> Okuji

Have a nice day!