grub-devel

Re: [patch] memory commands

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [patch] memory commands
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:10:36 -0600

On Dec 16, 2005, at 8:12 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

This patch adds a "memory" module, which currently contains two
commands:
        Usage: memdump [address [len]]
        Dump the contents of memory.

        Usage: memset address (value [len] | trap)
        Write a 32-bit quantity to memory.

Future commands could include "memload" (load a file into memory) and
"memsearch" (search for a given value or string in a specified area of
memory. I haven't needed those yet.

Personally I prefer to call this module `memdebug'.  In that case it
is clear that it is intended for debugging, not for other memory
related commands (which we might need someday, but are not related at
all).

Comments?

I'd like to do a full review later in the weekend, if possible.

Here is the patch with the module renamed to "memdebug".

-Hollis