grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 Build on Mac OS X

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: GRUB2 Build on Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:26:18 +0100

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

>> I really hope you're willing to entertain patches that remove use of
>> nested functions.  If so, I'll certainly put some effort that direction
>> when next I look at moving RHEL and Fedora to GRUB 2.
>
> I am willing to entertain them.
>
> Marco found a nice description from Roland McGrath on this subject:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-November/msg00838.html
>
> His only suggestions for nested functions were a) do not use function
> pointers
> with them, or b) rewrite them entirely.

Entertain them?

Anyways, removing nested functions is not something I want to do.  But
we could have a case to case look if it would be possible to not use
local variables without making the code obscure.  I assume we can find
all of the locations by having a look at some errors or warnings,
perhaps those from the compile log that was sent in.  But I still
prefer having a sane solution to make it work.

The apple specific case won't be fixed this way.  But I can not help
that apple disabled this feature while it doesn't even rely on an
executable stack in all cases.

--
Marco