grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 Build on Mac OS X

From: andre-smith
Subject: Re: GRUB2 Build on Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:01:50 +0000

The Mac OS X GCC compiler will not build GRUB2, due static linking at address
0x2000; this error can be confirmed during the configure process. If I could
build GRUB2 using the Mac OS X GCC, I would be able to build GRUB2 images from
Mac OS X.

The binary I attempted the build using the cross compiler tool chain
powerpc-elf, would have executed on PowerPC Linux, but I would not build due to
the nested function support being disabled in the Apple GCC.

Since the GRUB2 tools built using a Linux GCC compiler will suffice at the
moment, I can see why the team is not overly concerned with this issue. If
GRUB2 is going to be portable(Mac OS X), then some changes will be needed to
accomplish this goal.

If stack execution support is disabled in future releases of other operating
systems, it will become an issue of nested functions implemented with stack
execution, and less of an Apple GCC compiler issue.

I do agree that more arguments will be needed on function calls if nested
functions are not going to be used, if the list is willing to accept patches to
address this issue.

As far as the GRUB2 tools, binaries executed on the PowerPC platform only need
to be pure ELF. I am not sure if creating Mach-O boot binaries will yield any
benefits for bringing up a kernel. If GRUB2 is to be used on the Mac OS X
operating system, the tools need to be Mach-O based.

Andre