grub-devel

Re: module references

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: module references
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:57:14 +0200

Marco Gerards wrote:
> Vesa Jääskeläinen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Please describe for me how I can trigger this bug. In other words, what
>>> commands can I run to unload a filesystem module while a file is open?
>> One way at least is to use font subsystem. That at least keeps file open.
>>
>> See guide from Okuji's message how to create font file and:
>>
>> insmod font
>> font .../fontfile.pff
>
> Shouldn't the font file be opened, loaded into memory and closed?

Not at this time :)

Perhaps in the future...

But in reality, memory requirements for whole Unicode map is quite big.
So loading only parts that really matter, saves quite a lot.

If you look at the code there is TODO with similar commend "caching
needed" :)

If we think about my problem with fonts (or reading them), I didn't even
try to make workaround like caching everything. Instead I wanted to find
root cause for the reading problem. So this has slowed down a bit
development.