grub-devel

Re: play.c

From: Vincent Pelletier
Subject: Re: play.c
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 23:43:16 +0100

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 23:23:25 +0100
Samuel Thibault <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hollis Blanchard, le Sat 05 Nov 2005 16:17:33 -0600, a écrit :

BTW, thank for your comments, I'll send another version tomorrow.

> > Can you describe how the PIT is related to the speaker?
> That's the way one can make the speaker beep without having to keep
> cpu busy with typically-440-Hz outs. One just asks the PIT to do it
> for us in the background.

To beep, a square generator is set to the right frequency, and then a
bit allows the pulses to go to the actual buzzer.

> > I'm wondering if this code could mostly work on PPC platforms that
> > have PC-like peripherals.
> It depends on whether the PIT is linked to the speaker like on PC.

I think there is really little chance it works (ie. without
writing a sound-card driver).

Vincent Pelletier

PS: trying sylpheed claws gtk2

T�l�chargez cette version sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com