grub-devel

Re: [PPC] quick test please? device tree path translation

From: Mike Small
Subject: Re: [PPC] quick test please? device tree path translation
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:19:26 -0400

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 05:53:44PM -0500, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> Hi, could PPC people give the attached shell script a try? For example,
> $ ./ofpathname /dev/hda
> /address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/@0/address@hidden
>
> I'd like to make sure that the resulting Open Firmware device tree path
> is accurate. I think we should use this script for GRUB installation,
> which means that when the user says "grub-install /dev/hda2" this
> script will tell us the proper setting of the OF "boot-device"
> variable.
>
> It seems to be working fine for disk, CD, and Zip drive on my Blue &
> White G3, which has a slightly unusual ATA setup. I expect it to work
> just fine on simple systems like laptops, but I'm particularly
> interested in more unsual systems like Pegasos, or systems with lots of
> IO and disks.
>
> You can validate by comparing the output with
> /proc/device-tree/aliases/hd, for example, or just try it out.
>
> -Hollis

Seems to work for me.  It gives the same answers as ofpath (packaged
with yaboot 1.0.8), except for a usb floppy drive, which your script
can handle but ofpath cannot.  The machine is a 466Mhz G4 Powermac
(Digital Audio) with an IDE harddrive and cdrom drive, and a usb
floppy drive...

$ ./ofpathname /dev/hda
/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden
$ ./ofpathname /dev/hdc
/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden
$ ./ofpathname /dev/sda
/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden,0

(for comparison)
# ofpath /dev/hda
/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden:
# ofpath /dev/hdc
/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden:
# ofpath /dev/sdc
ofpath: /proc/device-tree is broken.  Do not use BootX to boot, use yaboot.
ofpath: The yaboot HOWTO can be found here: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc

So your script seems better.

--
Mike Small