grub-devel

Re: grub-setup: --no-boot option?

From: Paul Bolle
Subject: Re: grub-setup: --no-boot option?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:38:58 +0200

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 00:23 +0200, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Friday 21 October 2005 11:36 pm, Paul Bolle wrote:
> > I already tried. But launching the GRUB image grub-mkimage generated
> > (b.t.w. using the exact command grub-install uses) dropped me to rescue
> > mode. [...].
>
> Because you didn't set the variable root. You need to do this:
>
> root=(hd0,2)
> kernel /boot/grub/core.img
> boot

No. The problem was that I had installed the GRUB files not in the
default directory (but in /boot/grub2) while grub-mkimage will not
change the grub_prefix variable found in the kernel.img.

This might suggest to add an option to grub-mkimage (say:
"--runtime-dir") to overrule the grub_prefix variable set in the image.
(This option would  then sort of correspond with the "--directory"
option of grub-setup.) Not that important, though ...

Regards,

Paul