grub-devel

Re: Scripting support

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Scripting support
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:42:34 +0200

Vladimir Serbinenko <address@hidden> writes:

>>I think we first have to determine:
>>
>>1) Which commands should be supported.
>>

> What about && || ! case do done elif else esac fi for function if in
> then until while { } [[ ]]

This sounds fine to me.  Although I don't remember !, { } and [[ ]]
anymore.

> in scripting engine. I think that time is completely useless. What do
> you think about select?

I am not sure about select.

What is "time" you are talking about?  If you are talking about the
command time which measures the running time, it is just a command.
If we want it, we can easily implement it as a GRUB command.

>>2) The smallest subset of commands that should be generated.
>>
> I think

If we take the approach I described in my other email, we don't need
this.  So I wait for commenting about this.

>>Perhaps the best is to make a list of tokens we need to support.  With
>>such list we can determine how to detect them.
>>

> I think just comparing (after \ one character is not compared) might
> be enough.

The \ is already handled by the state machine, when I commit it.  So
it is not something you have to worry about. :-)

> ; newline ;; && || ! case do done elif else esac fi for function if in
> then until while { } [[ ]]

Right.  And how about menu entries?  What was the last thing we agreed
about?