grub-devel

Re: [patch] 64 bit disk address support (= 8192EiB disks)

From: Timothy Baldwin
Subject: Re: [patch] 64 bit disk address support (= 8192EiB disks)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:46:33 +0100

On Friday 21 Oct 2005 23:24, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Saturday 22 October 2005 12:18 am, Marco Gerards wrote:
> > >   * include/grub/types.h (grub_lba_t): New typedef.
> >
> > Why did you choose this name?

LBA as an abbreviation of logical block address is in common use. And makes it
clear that it is a count of sectors not bytes.

> > What about using grub_sector_t instead
> > as name?

Good. Just not as immediately obvious that it is an address, as opposed 512
bytes of data, but may be more easier understood.

> I think it is better to define grub_off_t as grub_uint64_t, and use
> grub_off_t.

Misleading as POSIX uses off_t as a byte offset. Also grub_off_t would be
logical type name for file offsets, which should use a separate type to aid
changing it.

Also grub_off_t is used in kern/mm.c to count bytes of memory.

And finally I just noticed grub_lba_t (or whatever) should be defined further
up types.h.

--
Member AFFS, WYLUG, SWP (UK), UAF, RESPECT, StWC
No to software patents!    Victory to the iraqi resistance!