grub-devel

Re: 2Marco Gerards (answer)

From: Ruslan Nikolaev
Subject: Re: 2Marco Gerards (answer)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 15:17:09 -0700 (PDT)

The problem that is related with REGPARAM test:

During configuring the test of regparm bug will be compiled and then executed.
First:
it can't properly compiled if you haven't 32-bit libraries
Second:
it can't be executed if system can't execute 32-bit executables
Third:
you can't compile this test as 64-bit because it generates another code and you can't be 100% that bug was found.

The problems with other tests:

These test (expect OBJCOPY test) will not fail if compiler works in 32-bit mode & you have 32-bit libraries & system can execute 32-bit files. BUT it will fail otherwise. In that case we _must_ execute these tests (expect OBJCOPY test) in 64-bit mode compiling. OBJCOPY will not fail in 32-bit mode even you haven't 32-bit libraries (in 64-bit mode OBJCOPY test will fail).
I don't know how it will be for you but at least I described the problems that I had.