grub-devel

Re: [DISCUSSION] Scripts and menus

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Scripts and menus
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:12:03 +0200

On Sunday 14 August 2005 15:29, Douglas Wade Needham wrote:
> BTW...If 1.9 is supposed to be indicating that we are nearing a 2.0
> release, I don't think that now would be the time for such a major
> change.  After nearly 30 years of programming, one of the problems I
> have seen in too many Open Source projects is that a release cycle is
> supposedly started, but...

Do not care about the version number. For now, GRUB 2 is at an alpha stage.
Rather, you must not stop thinking how to improve GRUB 2. So I appreciate
that Vladimir is thinking various possibilities.

Possibly, we will have to begin stabilizing GRUB 2 in near future, maybe in 6
months. Once we decide this, we should not make any (user-visible)
incompatible change, because the requirement for a boot loader is more severe
than other software. So, reversely, we should consider what we can change as
much as possible at this moment. If we miss this occasion, the next chance is
GRUB 3.

Okuji